Cartographic sources suggest this structure was an outbuilding associated with 715 New Street. If so, it was present on this site by 1912. According to family tradition, the house was built by Robert Smalls as one of several rental units in the late 1800s.
This is a distinctive example of a one and a half story dwelling with a rear T wing. Construction details suggest the house was built in the first half of the 1800s. According to the U.S. Direct Tax Commission's map, the property was owned by "McGrath" in 1862. Local tradition has often referred to this as the "Birthing House" becasuse it was later the home of an African-American midwife.