This photo was an exciting find for HBF because it gives us an excellent view of the Verdier House outbuildings in the 1890s which no longer exist.
Taken at the corner of Bay and Scott’s streets, the photo is a copy of one that originally appeared in a book about the Red Cross and was taken after the 1893 hurricane when Clara Barton organized a relief effort in Beaufort.
It’s labeled “Carts loaded with grits for the distributing station at McLoud’s,” a reference possibly to McLeod’s Farm at Seabrook. Temporary distribution sites were established throughout the county.
(Click on the photo to enlarge.)