Preservation

Verdier House







John Mark Verdier House Museum  c.1804

801 Bay Street Beaufort, South Carolina


The only planter's house in Beaufort open to the public.


This prominent Federal-style mansion was built circa 1804 by John Mark Verdier (1759-1827), a successful merchant and planter. Verdier had accumulated significant wealth both by trading indigo and subsequently by acquiring over 1,000 acres used for the growing of highly profitable sea island cotton. This house was a highly visible statement that reflected his rise from a merchant’s status to a wealthy member of Beaufort’s planter class.


John Mark Verdier House in 1863 during the Union occupation of Beaufort (1861 - 1865).
The house served as army headquarters and the adjutant general's office.
 

Verdier House in 2011.
Restored to the colors of the 1863 exterior.

 

Beautiful Federal style interior and woodwork.

 

Verdier House interior by Jane Iseley

 

Verdier House arch entry and staircase


Featuring Three Permament Exhibits

Robert Smalls
Born in Beaufort in 1839.
First African American to serve in
the U.S. Congress 1875 - 1886
Civil War photos by Samuel Cooley
Photos of Bay Street in 1863
during the Union occupation.
The Beaufort Volunteer Artillary
The BVA was formed in 1776 and fought valiantly in the American Revolution and Civil War. The white space in the center of the flag is where it was shot through by Union artillery.

Hours of Operation

Monday-Saturday: Docent-guided tours every hour on the
1/2 hour from 10:30 AM until 3:30 PM. Phone: 843-379-6335
Closed Sunday and Holidays.

For a short video about the John Mark Verdier House Museum on the LOWCOUNTRY CHANNEL/LOCAL NEWS page of the BEACH TV Tripsmarter.com Website please Click Here